Write On! The Lakeside Bank Creative Writing Challenge
Take the Lakeside Bank “Write On!” Creative Writing Challenge for a chance to win a $2,500 College Scholarship!
To bring ideas to life, to tell a story, is amazingly powerful. Tell us yours!
Lakeside Bank is pleased to offer a $2,500 scholarship to deserving CPS HS Seniors in good standing who have been accepted to an accredited two or four-year college in the Fall of 2019 and can demonstrate financial need. Applicants need to write a 750 to 1,000-word short story that weaves in Lakeside Bank’s tagline, “It’s About Time.” This does not mean simply using the words but incorporating the concept into the story. Ideas may be science fiction, social issues, history, art, family—the possibilities are endless! Winners will be selected by a Lakeside Bank Scholarship Committee, and stories will be judged on creativity, the ability to move us, and how well the theme “It’s About Time” is integrated. Make us laugh, cry, angry, hopeful…WRITE ON! Here are the details:
- 2019 graduating CPS high school senior in good standing (no GPA requirements)
- Have a FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0
- Applicant must be accepted at an accredited two or four-year college for the Fall 2019 term.
Absolutely your choice! It may be science fiction. A western. About you. Your family. About the future; The past; It could be on a social issue; It’s whatever you want to write about. Whatever story you want to tell; the only requirement: weave Lakeside Bank’s tagline, “It’s about time,” into the story. This does not mean simply using the words. It means incorporating the concept into your story. How you do that is up to you. Essay to be between 750-1,000 words.
How will the entries be judged?
A group at Lakeside Bank will read and assess all submissions. Primary criteria:
- Your ability to move us. Make us laugh, cry, think.
- Story structure. Is the tale well told? Is the language clear? Is the grammar correct?
- How well you integrate the “It’s About Time” theme into your story idea.
What else is required? Pretty basic stuff!
- Be a current CPS High School Senior and graduate this June in good standing.
- Be accepted to a two or four year, accredited, college or university.
- Have financial need, as demonstrated by your FAFSA Expected Family Contribution.
What’s the timing?
- Submissions due Friday, May 3, 2019.
- Panel review completed by Friday, May 17, 2019.
- Award presentations to be scheduled after Memorial Day. $2,500 scholarship paid directly to college.
How do I submit my story?
Through the CPS scholarship system, Academic Works.
Contact the CPS Scholarship Manager via email at: CollegeScholarships@cps.edu or the Lakeside Bank Contest Coordinator at CPScontest@lakesidebank.com. Link to CPS Academics site: https://cps.academicworks.com/opportunities/2677